Tuesday, June 10, 2008

View from the Top

It wasn't quite Mt. Everest or even Timp (speaking of which, I really want to hike that this summer--any takers?) But it was perfect for little legs. We hiked to our local letter 'P'. Noelle cried the whole way down since she felt wronged being cooped up in a hiking backpack. And if he didn't weigh 30 pounds more than her, Mitch would have gladly traded her places since he started to complain that his legs were 'sooooo tired'.
It isn't the most scenic hike, unless you really love sagebrush and deer pellets, but the view from the top is nice.
And if you just looked at this picture you might get the wrong idea that nobody was having a good time. But we just have Camera-itis. The second the camera was put away and nobody was yelling at the kids to look happy and be still, they looked perfectly photogenic.

Also, if you do this hike you may want to take little boys with you. There are all sorts of potty jokes you can get from the letter 'P' and it never gets old. Trust me!

11 comments:

TisforTonya said...

we've considered hiking up to ye olde "P" there... and while it looks like your children are fully enjoying themselves I think I'm glad we waited... I personally don't enjoy hiking with that extra 20 pounds strapped to my back - maybe we'll take on the challenge this year... on a day when the temperature is amenable? (yes I know, it's always lower there than here, but I don't like to hike in 95 degrees anymore than I enjoy 110...)

Sherie Christensen said...

I still want to hike Timp Meg and I'll give it a good try though maybe I should do stairs more regularly before then (more than going down and up once to tuck the boys in every night) and a little more treadmill work. Let's plan a day!

Rhonda Can't Help You said...

Looks like a good time. Did you make a picnic lunch to eat up there like we used to do?

LC said...

Sounds like some P jokes made the hike extra fun. Hiking to the Y would be a lot less laughs and more tired legs.

lkm said...

I am game for hiking Timp with you. As long as neither of us have to carry (or wait for) our kids. Is Isaac old enough to baby sit for many hours?

cold cocoa said...

I'll watch your kids while you do Timp. You really think after all this fosball (?) playing and step aerobics you can really handle Timp? It is pretty there, but pretty dang long, too. I'm all about 30-45 minute hikes.

Reg said...

I've always wanted to hike Timp too. But you won't get any commitments of me today; not while the aches of our 10 hour Subway adventure remain sharply in memory.

hOLLIANN said...

Ditto to Reg's comments. Talk to me about it in a week. After all of these babies, I forget quickly how much I hate to hike. So maybe next week. When I think about it right now I like the vision of me on top of timp, but that is it. No up or down, so if you could find me a helicopter...

hOLLIANN said...

Here is what I found from blogland regarding the timp hike...I thought this info might be helpful when planning the trip...

"This hike is very crowded with BYU students on Saturday. Hiking on Sunday or mid-week will provide a more pleasant experience."

Said it like a professional timp hiker don't you think?

Megz said...

Thanks Holli, for the research and tips. We definitely would want a 'pleasant' experience. A Sunday hike on Timp...I can't think of a better way to commune with God's beauty than sweatin' it on top of a mountain. What a great way to get out of my calling for a week!
I am totally not flaking on this goal. Timp or bust is my new motto.

hOLLIANN said...

I thought you would appreciate the good, sound advice from blog land. little did we know that as BYU students, we were menaces to not only society, but the timp trail! My new motto - "Look out for all 18-24 year old kids sporting a shirt with a large Y.