Friday, January 25, 2008

It's about time for a book review!

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini I find book reviews fairly boring, so I'll try to keep this brief. I rarely read anymore for educational purposes---my mind needs pure fluff and escapism at the end of the day. So after seeing this book lauded everywhere I picked it up at the library and read the back cover. And I quickly placed it back on the shelf. No way was I going to relax while kids were sleeping with something that dealt with Afghanistan and the Taliban. But on another trip to the library I must have felt a little more desperate because I brought it home and I actually read it.
It's a compelling story about friendship and the setting just happens to be in a tumultuous country. Books like this remind me that I am so stinkin' lucky to live in this country. I am also reminded that there are people just like me on the other side of the globe enduring incredibly hard circumstances. But I didn't realize those things as I read it---I was just reading a good book. There are some Mature Elements in this book (always has to be a disclaimer, right?) so look at other reviews before you jump in. There. That was my first official adult book review. Next time we'll discuss the thematic elements of The Little Engine that Could. bye

No comments: