Friday, February 25, 2011

Special tribute alert

Syd had a big Birthday today and I wanted to do a special tribute post, but then I felt bad because Hub’s B-day was two weeks ago and I never got around to his….and you know how he gets about that sort of thing.  So I think I’ll play it fair and just mush them together. That way everyone gets ripped off a little bit.

                              bad picture of Hub in front of the Jefferson Memorial
Hub took off to DC the day after his Birthday so his celebration included packing and going to bed early.  But that does bring to mind one of his great hidden talents. He is a super packer. Whether it be luggage, cars or meals----that man knows how to fit it all in. I like to just stuff and squish stuff into bags, but Hub has super powers of spatial cognition where everything fits just right.
He’s pretty fun too. He often will ask the kids what they want to do (dangerous territory so I rarely ask such open-ended questions) and then he’ll actually do what  they say. Even if it’s horrible like playing Chutes and Ladders.
Unfortunately Hub is not a showoff so his many skills and talents may be surprising to some. Did you know he is great at math and writing and Frisbee golf? He’s good at most sports but he is also artistic and likes to draft house plans. He enjoyed framing our basement and using power tools. He also can sing and dance. But those skills probably won’t be shared outside of the home…. I could go on, but we’ve got to get onto Syd….
                                 Syd and her new baby with matching 'creepy big eyes' as Ike puts it....

Who is now 2! She showed off her age by climbing out of the crib yesterday with nary an injury or a nap. Aarrrgh.  She looks like an angel, but definitely is more on the devil’s side of late. She can hit, pinch, scratch and scream like a girl twice her age. She’s mastered saying ‘my turn’ even when it’s not, and can blame others for her messes and smells.  She’s also very sweet and will give great hugs and kisses when we’re sad.  She’s Noelle’s shadow most of the day and I love watching them play kitchen, house, church, beach, dance class, etc.
 Syd spent her birthday playing in the snow, cleaning bathrooms with me, hanging out at Ethan’s class, not napping, and playing at the McDonald’s playland with her sibs. She’s going to be getting a new dresser when we get around to ordering it. I am enjoying her being two and not knowing she’s supposed to have a big shebang birthday party. Unlike Ethan, who knows that his Birthday is in exactly 53 days and wants another dinosaur party or go to Chuck E Cheese or Disneyland….
So that was my Birthday twofer tribute. Hope it was awesome for you.

10 comments:

Heidi said...

Love the matching creepy eyes comment. She's way cuter than the doll, tho. :)

Sherie Christensen said...

That was totally awesome for me and I loved the matching eyes. I totally forgot to check to see if I could be helpful to you when "Hub" was gone. I guess you know my phone number so you should perhaps have called and we could have gotten together for a totally fun party.

jaredandgina said...

Love to hear about Frisbee golf. Brought back many memories playing with the Muhlsteins.

stephanie said...

Happy Birthday to two of my favorite Muhlesteins. I can't recall seeing Leon dance but I have seen him wearing tights.

Leon will always have a special place in my heart because of his willingness to get our twist cones with all pennies.

The Allreds said...

Had NO idea Leon was hiding all those talents...we'll have to have a family dance party the next time we're in town, I'll bring the disco light : )
I can see that he would go along with his kids' idea of fun, he and James were crafted from the same mold!
Happy belated birthday Sydney! WOW...2 years old, how fun!!!

LC said...

You have a Renaissance man too! And a Kewpie doll for a kid.
Happy bday to all--Hope you threw some wheat in their birthday cakes :)

TisforTonya said...

awww, you are such a wonderful wife/mom to write such nice things about your hub/kid... and yes, those big creepy eyes (the doll ones) are little on the freaky side... I'm agreeing with Ike on this one. good thing Syd's eyes are Gorgeous :)

cold cocoa said...

I bet Leon would be good at packing. He is just precise. That talent goes well with card games and shuffling skills.

And that Sydney is so cute with her pants that are always baggy in her nobi.

Michelle said...

Birthday blogs are my favorite because we get to hear new and interesting things about people we love. Thanks for making my morning. Happy belated birthday to L and Syd.

Wendy said...

I'm giggling. You are so funny. I felt like when you describing Syd you were talking about MY two year old ;) By the way...I just found your blog and I am going to stalk it. LOL--I'm harmless. After our times in nursery, I like to think we have become friends. Oh...and I just tossed some creepy dolls into the trash without my daughter knowing. I am going to let them haunt the dump now. Thanks for the laughs!